Monday, May 16, 2011

I can't hear your text

Anthony (my partner) and I went out to a local bar last night for a "quick" drink. As you'll come to learn, in my world there is no such thing as a quick drink, it's just how I phrase it because it sounds better than "Let's go to the bar and get drunk".  I was sitting at my usual spot, at a trivia video game. It was a small crowd of about twelve people. Now, I'm sure it's a sign of the times, but every single person was on their phones texting.  I mean ALL of them. Not only texting, but I could tell that some of them were texting each other even though they were on the next bar stool. I was feeling really left out-I didn't have anyone to text  Part of Anthony's "charm" is that when he's  had a couple of cocktails, he likes to strike up conversations with strangers, As the night went on, I could sense his growing frustration of not being able to share his stories with our fellow bar flies. "Just look at them", he starts, "they don't even know how to communicate".  So, we sat with each other playing trivia while everyone else continued their e-conversations. By our second drink, Anthony was really itching to chat. "I can't believe no one has even looked up, what could be so important that they can't take their eyes of their stupid phones". I was beginning to sense his growing impatience that he couldn't talk to the guy about local restaurants or politics. As I continued to play my game I suddenly heard rather loudly, "O.K., SERIOUSLY, WHY ARE YOU ALL ON YOUR PHONES? YOU'RE NOT EVEN TALKING TO EACH OTHER!" I was ready to sneak out the back door when something really amazing happened. Everyone looked up, laughed, put their phones down and began having live conversations. We overstayed our welcome as usual, but ended up having a really great time.

2 comments:

  1. Love this!
    It really is a sign of the times. I know that me and my friends are together, all of us who have smart phones are checking for messages or emails constantly.
    I'm trying to force myself to Put Down The Phone out of consideration for those around me and well, to talk to people irl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! (Not the texting, but what Anthony said.)

    I loved meeting both of you last weekend. So cool that you started this blog - I can't wait to read all the stories you have up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete